Sunday, April 19, 2009

Silkless Pupa 2

He has become darker now, I believe. But is still sensitive to the world around him. A draught causes him to swish his tail. It is a little disquieting. I had tried to convince myself that a pupa was barely alive - and yet clearly it is still a sentient being.

This flick of a tail has caused me to think again about what is life and what exactly is living. I think again of comas, varying degrees of consciousness and the vegetative state. Inside, this pupa is disorganised, its cell walls broken down into a soup of innards - and yet it still reacts. There must be, therefore, something that is left intact: a brain, perhaps, and some sort of nervous system. This twitch of the tail must be some base reaction...and I think of another time, another twitch, and hope that too was some primal reaction without consciousness.


Blogger Kay said...

Makes me think of the chooks with their heads chopped off still running about - boy! did that freak me out when I saw that as a kid.

Sun Apr 19, 02:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ugh - that would freak me out too, Kay! I wonder how that happens - it seems incredible.

Sun Apr 19, 06:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Just found a website about Mike, the headless chicken - there is, apparently a festival in May in Wales to celebrate!

Sun Apr 19, 06:26:00 p.m.  
Blogger BarbaraS said...

This makes my tummy feel slightly squirmy and I am reminded of how I felt reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... it's a lot to think about...

Sun Apr 19, 07:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Barbara - see what you mean about Frankenstein!

Sun Apr 19, 10:34:00 p.m.  
Anonymous marly said...

Chickens, yes! Chickens loom large for me. So does Yeats. This also reminds me of what Yeats said about the time after death--a multi-year time of confusion to the soul, before clarity appeared.

Thu Apr 23, 08:28:00 p.m.  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Marly, 'a multi-year time of confusion' - now what did he mean by that, I wonder. Spring and Winter at the same time, perhaps? That would certainly be confusing! I like the idea of clarity appearing eventually. It gives one hope.

Mon Apr 27, 09:44:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home