Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saturday Interrupted


Saturday morning. The postman shoves a package through the door. It is this gorgeous-looking book from Sepent's Tail: War Damage by Elizabeth Wilson. It is, I note, a literary thriller. I open it and start reading.

'"How did you get a key?"
Charles slid his smile sideways...'

Slid his smile sideways . Slid. If ever there was a 'mot juste' that must be it. Already I am interested.

The page ends:

'Trevelyan came at once with a strangled little whimper.'

A few seconds later I have finished the first chapter. I look at the clock - of course it's not just a few seconds in real time. Once again I have missed my spinnin' class. I shove the book away but it seems to be exuding a bookish pheromone: pick me up, it says, just another chapter. But I shall resist. I am already two books behind on my editing.

The blurb at the back says: 'somewhere between Patricia Highsmith and Sarah Waters' . Spot on, so far, I'd say.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger crimeficreader said...

You have rather tempted me into this one.

I am beginning to understand your preference for a laptop since I got back online earlier today with my newbie. I thought I'd hate the screen, but I don't. This little office is going to have a major de-cluttering soon...

Sat Apr 18, 07:48:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, CFR, I love my laptop. I use it as often as I can.

Sat Apr 18, 09:08:00 pm  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

1.'he slid his smile'
OK I'm hooked too.

2. 'I shoved the book away'
I am a book-pig and we both know the shoving does not work.

3. laptops: on knees, in bed.
= www luxe

Sun Apr 26, 01:15:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Oh, excellent pseudonym, Ann! And I love the succinct way you write. Thank you.

Mon Apr 27, 09:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home