Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chekhov For Emergencies.

For some time Debra Hamel has been telling me that the ipod touch is the best thing since sliced bread - and today I have to finally acknowledge that she is right.

I couldn't find 'kindle' but I did find something similar called 'stanza' which I could download in seconds for nothing. I then went on to Gutenburg and found several publications under Chekhov including something I've had my eye on for some time - one of his short novels called the Duel. So, in a few minutes I had my emergency Chekhov book. In fact I could have virtually any book that I liked (if I could find kindle and hence amazon) all on a tiny screen 8cm by 5cm.


I can slip it into my handbag since it weighs very little, and yet, surprisingly, it is quite easy to read, and the page turning is fast. I can brighten or darken a page by stroking the screen up and down, go forward or backwards with a tap in the corners, and when I put it down my place will be saved. Now all I have to do is to remember to keep it fully charged (my big failing, I'm afraid).

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Martin Fenner said...

Clare, you should also look at Classics. No Chekhov, but beautiful classic books such as Pride and Prejudice for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Thu Apr 16, 11:04:00 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

thats what I have! I still perfer my old nano when I am walking on the treadmill because it easier for me to turn the songs, but over all I like it. Its real sleak looking isnt it

Thu Apr 16, 11:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far as I know (I could be out of date) kindle isn't available to UK/European applications yet.

Fri Apr 17, 11:13:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that is a good use for an iPod. I'm useless at keeping mine charged too -a bit like the mobile phone. I'm always in disbelief that's it's run out of juice...

Think maxine is right too, on the kindle Europe state.

Fri Apr 17, 04:54:00 pm  
Blogger dhamel said...

I don't have trouble keeping mine charged because I just automatically plug it into the computer every morning. But I also bought myself an AC/USB plug thing, so that I can, if I need to, recharge it by plugging it into an electrical outlet. Might work for you.

Fri Apr 17, 08:40:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Martin - this almost sounds too good to be true, sometimes, doesn't it?

Yes, Susangalique - the old nano is better in some ways - more portable and with the shuffle you can't select anything. I wish I still had mine but my USB hub wasn't quite powerful enough. I kept having to reboot, and in the end it died.

Aha, thanks Maxine - that must be why I couldn't find it.

Glad to know I'm not alone, Barbara - yes I'm no good with the phone either.

Thanks Debra - I'm going to look out for one of these - sounds really useful!

Fri Apr 17, 11:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Gilles said...

I use Air Sharinghttp://www.avatron.com/products/airsharing/

The app lets you upload any file, spreadsheet, graphics and even PDFs to your iPod touch from your Mac or Windows PC. One great advantage over Gutenberg is that you're able to format the text in more readable fonts and also, upload recent books and your own texts.

Thu Apr 23, 07:16:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Oooh thank you so much for telling me about this, Gilles, I'm going to make great use of that!

Thu Apr 23, 10:44:00 am  
Anonymous Gilles said...

Hi Clare,

You might want to look also at Quick Office :


http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304673686&mt=8


Does the same things as Air Sharing, but is less "technical". These two (AS and QO) are the most reliable and stable.

Thu Apr 23, 06:10:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks again Gilles! I've got the Air sharing app downloaded now, and am very pleased with it.

Fri Apr 24, 06:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home