Sunday, March 30, 2008

Twenty-second Sunday Salon 21.27

Had a great time going round as many Sunday Salonists' blogs as I could find today, and one thing that kept coming up was a column in the New York Times on love and literary taste. I have just come across it again on Athena's blog Aquatique, but it was in other places too.

Odd then, that I should turn from the screen and read this in Justine Picardie's DAPHNE:

But what I do mind is that there's this niggling tension between us now, even when we're alone together, that wasn't there before; or at least, I don't think it was there until I finally admitted to him that I was just as interested in Daphne Du Maurier as the Brontës. 'Oh God not her again,' he said, when I told him this a few weeks ago...
Marital breakdown because of a book - a perfect example. I know it's fiction, but it rings very true to me.
Link

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ha! I agree with that character ... De Maurier rocks! (As do the Brontes.)

Mon Mar 31, 06:58:00 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Of course, Rebecca is the child of Jane Eyre.

Eyre heir.

Mon Mar 31, 02:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half way through this book now and I'd just like to recommend it to everyone!

Tue Apr 01, 08:03:00 am  
Blogger Justine Picardie said...

Thanks for the recommendation! As for Rebecca as the Eyre heir... the thread also pulls me in the direction of Sylvia Plath, and the line from Lady Lazarus:
"Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air."

Tue Apr 01, 02:18:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justine! Thank you so much for visiting. I only know Sylvia Plath's fiction, not much of her poetry, except that one about a box of bees - but that quote makes me want to read more.

Tue Apr 01, 02:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home