Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Shed of My Own

Today we tried to imagine summer and went over the border to look at sheds. Welsh sheds. Welsh rain and Welsh wind. Wind in the telephone cables and making them howl. Rain on the plastic roofs and rain on our heads. We ran from one small building to the next, aching with cold. Then paused inside each one - reluctant to move again.

We saw sheds like chalets with their own balconies and fancy-looking roofs


then sheds like stores; utilitarian little numbers eschewing windows except for light, sensibly-beamed, sombre, down-to-business

then sheds called cabins, smoothly finished, with perfect windows and perfect doors, tiled felt roofs, and enough room for a family of two or three to live for a week or two - or maybe a life-time - in adequate comfort


and then, at last, my shed. Eight feet by eight feet, three small windows on one side and two more and a door on the other. My place. We stood for sometime and listened to the rain beating on the roof; a comforting sound that somehow made me feel safe. No balcony, but leaded lights. Room for a desk, a chair and a lamp, and the resinous smell of wood and the hissing of a gas heater. No internet connection, no phone and no excuse.


It is something I used to talk about to my former agent, and now, at last, I am making it real - before the end of April.




11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always loved the idea of a shed of my own. I have even visited a few establishments such as the one you describe here. (I even saw a massive swiss chalet sauna shed in one of them.) Unfortunately, I have not succeeded in my quest. Our garden is very small and the only shed in it is full of all the usual garden junk. But I live in hope....

Sat Mar 29, 07:26:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - I saw one with a sauna in today! And a hot tub - it's amazing how much you can cram in. Our garden is small too, but luckily we have found that there is just enough space at the side of the house. I shall have a view of our little piece of lawn and tangled up trees and I think I shall feel very happy.

So many authors seem to write in sheds - and I am really looking forward to getting one now.

Sat Mar 29, 08:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! There's something very appealing about the shed. Perhaps it's the appeal of the clubhouse, from childhood. A place of one's own.

Sat Mar 29, 11:06:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That is sooo cool Clare. I am sure that you will write tomes in that shed of yours. I am so pleased for you.

Sat Mar 29, 11:13:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Debra. Yes, this afternoon I remember thinking of a feeling from childhood - the den, the hidden place that only I knew - and how much I cherished it.

CB: Thank you - I do very much hope so! I have become very ill-disciplined of late. I think I've lost confidence - never before have I been so unproductive.

Sat Mar 29, 11:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We saw sheds like chalets with their own balconies and fancy-looking roofs..." - twas the "summer house" in my childhood and a source of play with my friend, reading competitiveness aside for once!

Oh you've brought back memories, Clare!

Sun Mar 30, 02:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's just lovely! The trick, of course, will be training the boys to leave you alone when you're in there. (Do tell if you figure out how to do that.)

Sun Mar 30, 08:20:00 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

oh gosh, shopping for sheds is so fun.

Me and Mike did this last year. It was a great great investment. Ours isnt as cute as a welsh shed, but it was made by the minonites (similar to the omish but they use electricity)

here is my entry about it. It was so cool when they brought it because they had a truck that could go around tight corners and lift it into place. I made a video. THe delivery guy was also really hot.

http://susangalique.livejournal.com/353743.html?view=971215#t971215

Sun Mar 30, 09:06:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CFR: Listening to the rain on the roof of the shed yesterday reminded me of holidays in tents and caravans. That sound of the rain on a roof always made me feel warm and secure. Strange how sounds can take you back.

Susan: I am working on very mature signs like DANGER KEEP OUT...that sort of thing should do the trick.

Susangalique - that shed is marvellous. I love the roof. Thank you for the link - it was great seeing your new baby in situ.

Sun Mar 30, 11:01:00 pm  
Blogger Alex Johnson said...

I think you might enjoy a browse around my site, Shedworking (www.shedworking.co.uk). I also produce a free bimonthly pdf magazine called The Shed for people who work in sheds and shedlike atmospheres. Would be very happy to send you the latest issue.

Mon Mar 31, 09:31:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, Alex! And I'm intrigued by the idea of a magazine. I'll definitely sign up...

Tue Apr 01, 08:08:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home