Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In praise of the cauliflower


The Hodmandods in this household (rather unusually for molluscs) do not favour the cauliflower. Once Hodmandod Senior woke claiming to have had a nightmare about them. I'm not sure what happened to him in this dream but he wouldn't touch a floret for months afterwards.

I, however, am quite fond of the cauliflower, especially with cheese, and think them quite beautiful. Another thing that struck me as interesting as I was plunging my knife into this one's hard white little heart a few minutes ago, was that the outer surface consists of fractals.

It also reminds me of a brain, a lump of coral, a cloud, a piece of fungus, white paint dispersing underwater, pillow lava seen through red glass, malachite in a dim light and the mashed potato which tonight turned up on the plate next to it. So not a good menu choice. I think Hodmandod Senior is in for another bad night.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am puzzled about something that happened in that void between childhood and parenthood (an interval in which I never went into a supermarket), ie that food shops put cauliflower florets and broccoli "heads" (is that the word? or are they "florets" too?) together in a bag. Why? Is there some rule that says you have to eat these vegetables together? When I was a girl, nobody ever had broccoli cheese (or even broccoli, come to think of it). Yet in my first emergence into parentood, I discovered this dish one day, in the aisle of M&S.
The evolution of eating habits is most strange and wondrous to me.
(Maxine)

Wed Jan 23, 08:23:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Maxine, it's strange where all these 'new' vegetables have come from and why.

I can't even remember when I first saw my first bit of broccoli but am still inclined to think of it as exotic. Courgettes I do remember encountering for the first time - boiled, watery, too soft and slightly bitter - at college. At first I didn't like them, but now I do - but they have to be stir-fried in a pan with other exotics - red onions, chestnut mushrooms and red peppers.

Wed Jan 23, 08:58:00 pm  
Blogger Anne S said...

Cauliflower Cheese is my prime comfort food.

I loved it as a child and still make it, now and then, as a treat.

Wed Jan 23, 10:09:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one whose brain works like this. Imagination sometimes gets the better of me, turning things askew until nothing just is anymore, its always a list of others things as well!

Thu Jan 24, 12:59:00 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

I loved this post!

Thu Jan 24, 08:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too, Anne!

Jem - I think that is, in some ways, a definition of creativity - the ability to think askew.

Thanks S!

Sat Jan 26, 10:09:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Terms of endearment for the humble cauli. It's a poem! Lovely.

Tue Jan 29, 08:14:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home