Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why Do Gnats Fly In Circles And Never Hit Each Other?

This is my eighth answer to the weird questions I asked about a week ago. I allow myself just 15 minutes to respond and whatever I write during this time I post here (sometimes with the minimum amount of editing).

Mosquitoes (and I am assuming they are the same animals as gnats) have random flight paths - hence the spirals. A change in direction is dictated by sensory hairs on their antennae. They are particularly partial to big blonde fidgety beer-drinking women with smelly feet wearing dark clothes and lots of perfume (since they fly towards movement, warmth, increased levels of carbon dioxide, lactic acid, humidity and certain chemicals) and less partial, I suspect, to each other. This is probably why they never hit each other.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

As a tangential response, I highly recommend this work, The Life of InsectsK, by Victor Pelevin, Clare. A little sample of his imagination-
"Watching the hot sunlight falling on the tablecloth covered with sticky blotches & crumbs, Andrei was struck by the thought of what a genuine tragedy it was for millions of light rays to set out on their journey from the surface of the sun, go hurtling through the infinite void of space & pierce the kilometres thick sky of Earth, only to be extinguished in the revolting remains of yesterday's soup. Maybe these yellow arrows slanting in through the window were conscious, hoped for something better- and realised their hope was groundless, giving them all the necessary ingredients for suffering."
From The Yellow Arrow

Wed Jul 25, 06:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds brilliant, thank you Andrew. I shall investigate.

Wed Jul 25, 10:31:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My pick would be quite the opposite. The ray of light finds deeper and best fulfillment "feeling" in reaching the Earth and spreading some light to people, happily fulfilling through this his very destiny. Then die and live forever as an idea, a memory, etc, in the other world where he (the ray of light) is travelling to. This is great, my life I want to be like a ray of light, to bring to other people everything they needed as possible, to give everything for their benefit and then, happy, die to resurrect in another (better) world! This is great :).
PS: My name is Andrei too, very interesting coincidence!... :)

Wed Oct 31, 07:01:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Andrei - it's more than five years since I posted this. It's going to take a bit of time for me to think back...

Wed Oct 31, 08:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home