Wednesday, June 06, 2007

10.30pm

Just been having a glass of Chenin Blanc with Hodmandod Senior. 'Soon be the longest day, can you believe it?' This is one of Hodmandod Senior's favourite topics. 'Days will be drawing in again, then,' he continues.

'Oh shut up,' I tell him affectionately. 'Why do you always have to say this? It's the same every year, you old misery. I've just got used to it becoming lighter.'

'Funny,' he says, 'that's just what they told me at work today.'

Hodmandod Senior is not happy. Apparently the thermocouples have been put in the wrong place in the plant which means that all the work he's been doing for the past year and a half will go to waste. A year and a half, I think...that's nothing.

'I want to move from here,' I tell him. 'I want to be somewhere else. I want to do something. I just feel so useless.'

So we agree, as we always agree, to wait - at least until Hodmandod Minor finishes at school.

Then I come back to this room and search for ways to go to Bhutan.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clare, wherever you go, there you are. It's no use moving. My mother always felt a need to leave place after place, thinking that happiness was out there somewhere. I don't think it is. I suppose it's different for everyone, but I've found great comfort myself in setting down very deep roots. It's not perfect, but it's safe and reliable.

Thu Jun 07, 04:39:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you're right. I expect it will remain just a dream. I've always felt I want to escape from wherever I am - although I know I am very lucky to be where I am. I suppose it is a curiosity to find out how things are elsewhere.

Thu Jun 07, 09:43:00 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Perhaps you should blog the "longest" day and the "shortest" day...

Tue Jun 12, 03:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home