Monday, January 29, 2007

Packing for Hull.

My apologies for not being around in the blogosphere very much recently. I'm afraid I've been entrapped by a book and now I am off to the north east of England for the next couple of days to give a talk to the Hull Literary and Philosophical Society.

Today I made a few crucial tweaks to my talk on Alfred Wegener and transferred my presentation from Appleworks to Powerpoint which I hope will be more stable (Appleworks has a tendency to disappear without warning, I've found - which is a little off-putting mid-talk).

When I came to pack some Wegener books I found I'd given more than I thought away and since I am not allowed to sell the American edition I could only scrape together ten hardback books to take with me. I doubt that I could carry many more on the train with me in any case.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Good luck with the talk! Enjoy the delights of Hull, or at least take a look at Beverley Minster. When are you presenting your talk in Cambridge?

Mon Jan 29, 11:20:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I thought you must've been busy - and knew it would all be stirling, worthwhile stuff.

Have a great time in Hull I know you will be a hit! (And Alfred too of course.) A very topical subject too right now isn't it? Hope you sell all those ten books, thus leaving room in your suitcase for mementos of the North East.

Tue Jan 30, 06:18:00 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

What I am curious about is the book that has kept you engrossed for several days...

Have fun in Hull. How lucky you are to be able to travel around - I basically go nowhere, but then again that suits me fine.

Tue Jan 30, 09:17:00 am  
Blogger Gordon McCabe said...

I've never been to Hull, but a friend of mine, who went to university there, memorably describes it as feeling like 'the end of the line'.

Tue Jan 30, 12:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What relief!

I glanced across and read "Packing for Hell."

Luckily I remembered that one doesn't need to pack for Hell, and so I looked closer and saw that I was mistaken, tra la--hope you had a heavenly time!

Tue Jan 30, 03:14:00 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

p. s. Yes, don't forget to tell us about the book. I could use some entrapment...

Tue Jan 30, 03:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jeremy - I looked for Beverley Minster but not sure I found it...

Thanks CB. It is topical - and seems to get more so with each day that passes.

Anne S. The book was another one on Creativity this one by Weisberg. It is my current obsession. Yes, I think I am lucky to travel and really appreciate being able to do so. I find it in equal parts invigorating and exhausting but on balance I'd hate to give it up.

Gordon MCabe:It is the end of the line! Quite literally. You can nod off to sleep on that journey with impunity.

Marly: Heh...I understand the confusion and oddly enough the town does smell somewhat of brimstone.

The town of Hull is actually short for 'Kingston-upon-Hull'but is not abridged to Kingston (as would be expected) but to the name of the river on which it stands. According to locals this is because there might be confusion with 'the other Kingston'(-upon-Thames) which is 'down south' - and therefore obviously inferior!

Fri Feb 02, 05:26:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home