Thursday, August 31, 2006

Rejections

Douglas of Crossword Bebop is the worthy winner of Debra Hamel's Haiku competition on Book Blog. I have congratulated him in the only way appropriate, I feel...

CONGRATULATIONS!
Douglas, king of the crossword
and now the haiku.


In other news I discovered in this morning's post that my two offerings of short stories have been deemed unsuitable for inclusion in the Anthology of Chester which is disappointing, and my specimen has not been accepted for inclusion in the Field Guide to Surreal Botany (though not really surprised about this one since it was much too long).

So it has not been a particularly splendid twelve hours.

However I am really pleased that I submitted something for the botanical guide because it made me think of an idea which has been haunting me ever since - a fantasy for children. It is more than ten years since I wrote something like this, so perhaps it is time I tried my hand again. All I've been writing recently is this blog - no fiction at all and I'm beginning to feel edgy - like some who has missed her fix.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the rejection. When'd you submit? There's no data on SB on the Black Holes so folks are trying to figure out how they're making their way through the pile...

Thu Aug 31, 10:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon: Just before the deadline, as far as I remember - but I did get a bit carried away with the idea. The plant had its own mythology by the time I'd finished.

Two Cranes seem a lovely pair - I much admire what they do.

Thu Aug 31, 11:09:00 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

Rejection is horrible horrible HORRIBLE. And I know they say it makes you stronger. Hah!

(And to show how naive I am: I always believed once published, always published.)

But now this idea for a fantasy... I do often feel we have to spit in the face of Bad Things by making them our own.

Fri Sept 01, 06:56:00 am  
Blogger Lee said...

BTW, why don't you post at least your plant submission here? I, for one, would be fascinated.

Fri Sept 01, 08:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Lee, once published, always published - if only...there are many authors who publish just two or three books and then cannot get anything published no matter how well they have been reviewed because the books just haven't sold.

As always the secret is to keep on going, I think, never give up.

And my agent says develop a thick skin!

I've decided that I am going to remark on all failures as well as any successes here because I want it to be a blog which truly reflects my life as a writer.

Yes, maybe I shall post it here soon - that's a good idea. I'll give it its own little post.

Fri Sept 01, 02:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it's 12 hours in how many hours of life and how many submissions?

With writing, it's finding the right peg for the right hole, unless you're crap, which you clearly aren't Clare.

So keep up the game, Clare - square pegs in any hole eventually lead to star pegs in star holes!

(Not that I'm saying you're "square"; it's just an old analogy on an even older cliche!)

You have to have a thick skin when you write; so let it all bounce off your metal! And then move on to the next opportunity!

Fri Sept 01, 10:34:00 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

My editor was recently warning me about the inevitability of at least one bad review, and telling me to be prepared. My response: every rejection is a bad review; and thus, I've been "preparing" for years.

Look forward to reading the expanded version of your fantasy.

Sun Sept 03, 03:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CFR: Yes you're right - very good analogy - right shaped peg for the right shaped hole.

Patry: Sounds to me like you have a very wise editor!

Sun Sept 03, 09:42:00 am  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Keep plugging away :) You have a lot to share.

Wed Sept 06, 12:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home