Thursday, April 20, 2006

My Reading Pile


As I mentioned before this August I am looking forward to be one of two guest authors at a reading week in the Languedoc organised by 7 day wonder holidays. The other author is Jane Rogers, who has written many books including MR WROE'S VIRGINS - the screen play as well as the novel - something I remember it quite vividly although it was on TV quite a few years ago now. So I have bought this novel, as well as her latest, THE VOYAGE HOME and the one she is going to discuss during the week, ISLAND. I have taken a peek at the first page of THE VOYAGE HOME and felt myself getting immediately absorbed, but have put it down again - determined to keep it as a treat for later.

Apart from that the other books lined up are AUSTERLITZ by WG Sebold, WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte, NEVER LET ME GO by Kazuo Ishiguro with 26a by Diana Evans, THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN by Mark Twain and PATCHWORK PLANET by Anne Tyler in an 'extras' list. These have joined my reading pile...


On the top of the pile is HOPE AND HEARTBREAK by Russell Davies which I am half-way through - just to complete the research on my current novel. Next are a series of short story anthologies because next on my to do list is a short story or two, then I am going to start research on my next novel ready to go down to Oxford in June. I usually have at least two books on the go at once and intend to review each one as I finish.

Ah, so many books, and I am such a slow reader - and I am going to a book launch in Liverpool tonight - an anthology of short stories by David Evans whose first novel I loved so much last year...Still, it is all good stuff and I think I am very lucky to be able to spend so much time doing what I love.

4 Comments:

Blogger Summertrees Tea Shop said...

Hi Clare, your article on the Great Orme was really interesting. I will view it with different eyes next time I go there. But what really interested me about your book list was Austerlitz by (Max) W. G. Sebald. Did you know he was Nicola's tutor at the UEA. She said he was a lovely man, but he had a sadness about him. He couldnt seem to get away from his past, he felt guilty, even though he wasnt involved in the war. When Nicola heard he'd been killed in a car crash, she felt really sorry, but she also thought that it would be the only time he would be at peace.

Wed Apr 26, 08:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Cathy - that sounds very sad. Poor man. It must have been a great privilege to have had W G Sebold as a tutor - I understand he was highly regarded - I'm really looking forward to reading Austerlitz.

Fri Apr 28, 08:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought "Mr Wroe's Virgins" was a great book.

Sat Apr 29, 11:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet: So many books, so little time - Mr Wroe's Virgins is another one I can't wait to read.

Sat Apr 29, 03:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home