Friday, February 10, 2017

Portus

It's almost a week late, but I have just finished the first unit of the Roman port of Portus.  So far I've seen how the port developed under Claudius and Nero and now have a burning desire to go there.
It must have been an amazing place in its hey day with its hexagonal pool, columnated piers and massive port of ships enclosed by walls.  And then, burning on the western end, was a massive lighthouse built on a sunken lump of concrete (now standing outside St Peter, I believe, in Rome).  

This weekend I intend to try and finish the second unit so that I am properly caught up for Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

This sounds so Clare: the burning desire awakened by a description of place.... Go! I must say that one of the things that impressed me last month was the impressive frigidarium remaining from the Roman baths at the Musée de Cluny. Such a grand vaulted space and a great place to display itself and art and remains of the past.

Sun Apr 02, 02:57:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Now I want to see that too, Marly! I haven't seen any French Roman remains yet - and that one sounds exciting.

Sat Apr 15, 08:47:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home