Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Life (Almost) Mimicking Fiction

Yesterday, I finished Rose Tremain's Music and Silence.  I was listening to it on audiobook, but in the end decided I was enjoying it so much I needed to read the written word too.  It's poetic, interesting, funny and has wonderful characterisation.  One of my all-time favourites.


Without spoiling the plot, there was a development towards the end which I thought might be far-fetched...until I read in the newspaper this morning about a woman from Derby who found that the headaches and scratching noise she was hearing was due to an infestation of flesh-eating maggots in her ear.  She had recently been on a holiday to Peru, remembered walking through a swarm of flies, and having extracted one from her ear, thought little more about it.  Unfortunately, its maggots turned out to be a rare sort that relished the flavour of living flesh.   It makes the incident in Music and Silence sound almost tame in comparison.


2 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

I'm a big fan of Rose Tremain's novels, and Music & Silence is one of my favourites, though I've always loved "Restoration" the most. Interesting about the maggots as it relates to the book. Life imaitating art indeed.

Thu Jul 18, 02:18:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I have 'Restoration' on my shelves, Anne - looking forward to this one even more now!

Thu Jul 18, 08:57:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home