Friday, May 07, 2010

My Hay Installation: Part 5 The Movie

After I was (fairly) happy with the presentation I decided to save it as a movie. This means I can save it onto a DVD and it can be played on the TV which is useful for the many talk venues which have easy access to a TV and a DVD player, but not a digital projector (necessary for a powerpoint presentation). With my newly updated power point presentation software I found this easy - just save as a movie.

I made several movies with different transitions and timings. One thing I have discovered is that the movie is saved at a faster pace than its corresponding powerpoint presentation. Consequently the fade-outs became more obvious in the movie and I decided I didn't like the effect.

The optimum in a power point had been a 'fast fade' with 2 second interval but in the movie this seemed to be equivalent to 'cut' and an interval of 3 seconds.

I tried converting the presentations with music too, but found that the music didn't seem to be saved alongside with the images; I am going to have to look into this - I think I might have to download more software.

Once I had a movie I accidentally discovered that by opening QuickTime player 7 I could save this as a low quality/low memory version using the 'share' option which can be posted by email. This proved useful - because sending just a small clip of the resulting movie in low quality mode to myself by ordinary QuickTime (as an experiment) kept my mail server busy for so long I thought something had gone wrong and had to phone apple support, and the helpful man at the other end told me it is not advisable to send any more than about 10 MBytes.

This low quality version may be useful for uploading to my blog too, I have decided, so, here it is - my first attempt at my 'A Place of Meadows and Tall Trees' installation movie. It is just part of my installation - it is meant to go alongside readings which give further explanation.

(N.B. Although it is black if you press play it will go.)




Next, I am going to adapt this to make a shorter standalone version for my publisher's website and my own.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sue Guiney said...

I adore this, Clare. I love the clipped phrases and the way they appear bit by bit. It really helps evoke the sense of desolation and perseverance. I'm also finding this helpful because I am starting to think about putting together a powerpoint presentation to go along with next autumn's publication of my new novel. It's set in Cambodia and I have about 1000 photos on my computer that I kept looking at as I wrote. Your presentation is convincing me that it's worth doing.

Fri May 07, 11:12:00 am  
Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

If you've not done have a look at Windows Live Movie Maker. If you don't have it bundled with your version of Windows you can download it easily enough. That way you can start off with a soundtrack and import 'slides' to which you can add effect. I've never been much of a fan of Powerpoint but I picked up Movie Maker very qusickly. To be totally honest I worked in Paint the one I made. I just sized a window to suit, saved it as a master and then made as many slides as I needed. If you want the text to appear as in Powerpoint just save a slide at each stage, it's as easy as that.

Oh, I've been contacted by your publisher about doing a review and said okay.

Fri May 07, 11:32:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Sue - I have to say it took an extraordinary amount of work (and more to come) but enjoyed doing it. I had a look at your Tangled Roots video - that's very good, but in quite a different style, I think! Congratulations on your new publication!

Fri May 07, 11:35:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Jim, sounds like it may be a bit less work than powerpoint. I might have a go at that in future.

Thanks about the review, Jim - but please only do one if you wish to - obviously! I asked my publishers to send you a proof because you happened to comment that you'd like one a few blogposts back, but really there's no obligation.

Fri May 07, 11:51:00 am  
Blogger Debi said...

Agree with Sue. The pauses are as crucial in reinforcing the struggle as the words are. Lovely, Clare.

Fri May 07, 11:53:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh, 'struggle' is THE word in everything to do with this book, Debi! I don't think anything else has caused me so much trouble. Thank you, Debi - your words in turn are much appreciated.

Fri May 07, 12:04:00 pm  
Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

The book actually arrived about ten minutes after I posted that comment. I don't imagine I'll have any problems doing something. Your blogs contain a lot of reference material. I'm in the middle of a book just now but I intend to start yours next because I have committed to book reviews at the start of June which I don't usually do because it turns them into a job and I'm not getting paid enough to turn this into a job. You know what I mean.

Sat May 08, 11:07:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

You know, Jim, I think the most important thing is that you enjoy what you do. It is just a hobby after all.

Yes, I do know what you mean. I do try not to commit myself to anything because then it soon seems like a chore. So, I repeat, please do not feel obliged to read my book!

Sat May 08, 11:00:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home