Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Exquisite Corpse of Science.

My old Mac laptop (2 models ago) had a transparent cover into which you could insert the picture of your choice - and various possibilities.

The one I chose resembled the picture here called 'The Exquisite Corpse' - a collaborative surrealist technique, rather like the game of consequences I used to play as a child. Reading about it I realise I also used to use it to generate ideas when I taught creative writing. Each participant would invent a characteristic for a character - and this character, generated randomly, could be used in a piece of writing.

Tim Jones of Imperial College, London*, has used the technique to generate pictures of what science means to various individuals and has made a film of the result. Now he wants to expand the project to include other people. The instructions on how to get involved in what could be the biggest Sci-Art Project in History are here - and I definitely intend to have a go as soon as I get the chance...

It is open to anyone. All you have to do is draw what science means to you and send it in.

*Edited later from 'University of London' - see comments.
Link

4 Comments:

Anonymous Stephen Curry said...

Easier said than done, I imagine. I'm tempted too, though.

A point of information for you: Imperial is no longer part of the University of London - we seceded a couple of years ago, as has UCL, I believe. Not that the changing landscape of the capital's university merits much attention in the outside world!

Thu Jul 16, 09:18:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Stephen! I'm sure I'd read this thinking about it - but somehow the true significance of it hadn't come across. No longer part of the university of London, eh? I suppose Imperial was always 'a bit different' so it makes sense - not so sure about UCL, though. That, to me, was the embodiment of the University of London - geographically and, well, etymologically.

Thu Jul 16, 09:31:00 am  
Blogger Term Papers said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Fri Nov 06, 07:03:00 am  
Anonymous Term Papers said...

I really admire this, I mean it really looks interesting! I'm actually glad to see all this stuff, to see that this world offers creativity and ideas other than what my lonesome small town provides. This world is quite the big place and to encounter a story such as this one just puts me out of my ordinary. I got a hand it to whoever wrote this, you've really kept me updated! Now, let's just hope that I can come across another Blog just as interesting :)

Sat Nov 07, 11:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home