Friday, January 23, 2009

Silkies on the move.

Great excitement this morning. When I went to feed my silkworms I found that they were behaving oddly; their food uneaten and they were at the top of their newspaper searching around for somewhere else to climb.

This, I remember reading, is an indication that they are on the point of cocooning (although I had also read that they become translucent and more yellow too, which they haven't). So, just in case, I added an egg box, and then some insides of kitchen rolls, but since they climbed up all that I put the whole thing in a bigger box.

I have also discovered my little camera, which I have had for years, can take short video clips, and, furthermore, I can upload them quite easily to blogger, so here are my silkworms moving...!



Later, I noticed, that at least one of them is leaving a trail of silk...


Of course, it is ignoring the egg-box and insides of kitchen rolls, but is this the start of a cocoon? The excitement (well, mine, anyway) is mounting...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Geraldo Maia said...

Hello Clare,
It is a great pleasure to visit your nice and interesting blog for the first time.The article about silkworm is quite good.
Best wishes from Brazil:
Geraldo

Fri Jan 23, 11:27:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks for your visit, Geraldo!

Fri Jan 23, 11:37:00 am  
Blogger Sue Guiney said...

Very cool! Especially the video. I'm struggling to upload my own photos taken from my mobile onto blogger. Either it takes hours or never happens at all. Maybe I'll get a little camera like yours. Say hi to the little worms for me :-)

Fri Jan 23, 11:54:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! You could put that to music...what would you choose..? So they're beginning to get to the next stage already!

word verification: astrand...!

Fri Jan 23, 12:18:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Oh, I love it, Barbara - silkworms music and movement. It would have to be something slow.

Sue - that's strange about your photos! Although sometimes I have to admit I have trouble - I think it's something to do with the server speed than blogger - usually my son is on his computer stealing the bandwidth. Then it takes forever, or sometimes fails completely, as you say.

Fri Jan 23, 03:47:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

What fun. Great to see them moving about - although they are pretty shaky and erratic. Somehow their name suggests they should be a bit more graceful.

I like that one just chilling out on the rim of the eggbox! and great that the chosen eggbox is green and not that boring grey!

Mon Jan 26, 04:47:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, that's true, Jem - good point about their non-silken movement - I hadn't thought of that!

Tue Jan 27, 06:07:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home