Sunday, November 11, 2007

Third Sunday Salon 9.40pm (final post)


Have started HURTING DISTANCE by Sophie Hannah (as advised by Ann and Maxine) and finding it engrossing.

It starts with a hook - Naomi Jenkins breaking a promise (we don't know what promise, but that in itself is intriguing), and very rapidly we are led to another hook: a view through the window of a house - so horrific she finds herself swooning. Naomi is obsessive, and a little neurotic, in my opinion. She seems to be stalking her lover - but in a way that seems utterly plausible. Anyway, she's a very interesting and vulnerable character and looking forward to finding out more.

The next chapter introduces Detective Sergeant Charlie Zailer who I like almost immediately - because she is wriggling under the discomfort of an ill-fitting bra. It's an excellent detail and I think every woman reader will sympathise immediately.

Can't wait to read the rest and can perfectly understand why Ann read it in one sitting - a great combination of crime and quality women's fiction.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

A lot of reading! Glad to hear the plot is forming, shaping, kicking. I sense a stirring after a long, dark incubation ... :)

Sun Nov 11, 10:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another one for my wish list! I like the sound of this, Clare.

Sun Nov 11, 10:57:00 pm  
Blogger dhamel said...

This does sound interesting. Did Maxine actually review it? No one's reviewed it on Amazon.com yet.

Sun Nov 11, 11:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debra, I reviewed it here http://patternings.typepad.com/patternings/2007/06/hurting-distanc.html on my soon to be defunct old blog, Patternings, if that's any help

Mon Nov 12, 09:16:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Maxine has reviewed Hurting Distance herehere

and Sophie's first book LITTLE FACE here.

Mon Nov 12, 04:28:00 pm  
Blogger JB Nova said...

Hello Clare,
I need to get some new books, my reading seems to be off my shelf, need to expand my "views." This one sounds interesting...
Best Regards,
joeB

Mon Nov 12, 08:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, Joe - glad the beginnings of this plot inspired you!

Mon Nov 12, 10:31:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed all these comments! Thanks so much for linking to and mentioning my review(s), Clare. Glad you are enjoying the book-- I look forward to reading what you made of the rest of it. It is one of those "guilty reads" I'd say! (I discovered the Picador blog the other week, which is very lively and fun: this was one of the discussions there.)

Fri Nov 16, 07:39:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home