People Collection - or 5 things not generally known about me.
"PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL ‘PEOPLE COLLECTION’ POSTS
Remember that it isn’t always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it :-)"
I guess you can approach this in two ways: the starkly and shockingly honest or the more light-hearted and quirky...but it interesting either way, I think, so here goes...
1. At school I was known as Dizzy or Diz. I was called this so universally and for so long that I began to forget my real name and often reponded to Liz or Lizzy by mistake.
2. Towards the end of my schooling I was described as a blue-stocking - mainly, I think, because I seemed more interested in my school-work than romantic attachments with boys - although most of my friends were male.
3. I had my first romantic involvement with a geologist at the age of 19 although I had first been asked out earlier - when I was about 15. This I found hideously embarrassing and I have a clear memory pretending to look for a pen I had 'dropped' under the desk of a science lesson while the conversation above me went something like 'Well what did she say?' 'Nothing. I don't think she heard...'
4. I recently learnt that my father sent me my first Valentine card because my parents felt sorry for me because my younger brother had received one and I had not.
5. I was engaged at the age of 22 - approximately 6 months after first encountering Hodmandod Senior in the NMR room. He showed me how to shim my first spectrograph and for this I was so grateful I agreed to go to the theatre with him.
Now who shall I tag with this meme?
Maxine, Marly, Mumpsimus and Jeff Van derMeer...but only if you can spare the time of course!