Saturday, October 21, 2006

People Collection - or 5 things not generally known about me.

Debi Alper tagged me for this interesting but rather difficult meme. Apparently it originates with Sharon J who is searching for characteristics of people for writers and asks that the following paragraph is included in the post:

"PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL ‘PEOPLE COLLECTION’ POSTS

Remember that it isn’t always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it :-)"

I guess you can approach this in two ways: the starkly and shockingly honest or the more light-hearted and quirky...but it interesting either way, I think, so here goes...


1. At school I was known as Dizzy or Diz. I was called this so universally and for so long that I began to forget my real name and often reponded to Liz or Lizzy by mistake.

2. Towards the end of my schooling I was described as a blue-stocking - mainly, I think, because I seemed more interested in my school-work than romantic attachments with boys - although most of my friends were male.

3. I had my first romantic involvement with a geologist at the age of 19 although I had first been asked out earlier - when I was about 15. This I found hideously embarrassing and I have a clear memory pretending to look for a pen I had 'dropped' under the desk of a science lesson while the conversation above me went something like 'Well what did she say?' 'Nothing. I don't think she heard...'

4. I recently learnt that my father sent me my first Valentine card because my parents felt sorry for me because my younger brother had received one and I had not.

5. I was engaged at the age of 22 - approximately 6 months after first encountering Hodmandod Senior in the NMR room. He showed me how to shim my first spectrograph and for this I was so grateful I agreed to go to the theatre with him.

Now who shall I tag with this meme?

Maxine, Marly, Mumpsimus and Jeff Van derMeer...but only if you can spare the time of course!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! The one who named me thus. Thank you for dropping by again, Mr Kirk. It certainly did stick - for the next few years at least; and even until quite recently if I ever encounter anyone from my school days in Groby that's still what they call me. I did rather like it, to be honest. In fact I preferred it to Clare at the time.

Sat Oct 21, 07:18:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

What an absolutely sweet and endearing meme! I knew I really liked you as a person - my instincts were 'spot on'. I think you've revealed a lot about yourself (all positive) here and in such an unaffected manner.

Sat Oct 21, 10:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Clare, I was also tagged by Marie, and because her blog is called "Deep Thinker" and yours "Keeper of the Snails", I read hers first and have done the meme, attributing her. I will go back in and put in a post script.
I liked reading your answers -- ah, the great mystery of boys (I went to all-girls schools and an all female college, and had only sisters, no brothers).
I felt my answers were very stilted but I find it hard to write personal things on the blog. For example, your comment about your nickname at school has reminded me that when I was in first form (year 1 these days) the teacher for some reason was showing us pictures of animals, and when she came to an ostrich she said "that's Maxine" becuse I think it had a long neck. I was mortified, and the name stuck until we moved away from that town when I was 13. Interesting what one forgets -- your post bought it all back to me.

Sun Oct 22, 12:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your younger self - it always helps us to fill in the gaps when we are getting to know people. You are one facinating woman!

Sun Oct 22, 07:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's worse than weevils,
worse than warts,

It's worse than corns to bear.

It's worse than havin'
several quarts

Of treacle in your hair."

--Lindsay, "The Magic Pudding"

Of all the dastardly outrages!

But since your 5 are so endearing, I guess I'll do it. Maybe tomorrow, when the small and large Rambunctious Ones are packed off to school.

Sun Oct 22, 06:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan: You are such a kind person. I felt the same about your meme too.

maxine: Ah you see we all want to know more about you (and your answers weren't stilted at all)! Well, I had two brothers and have two sons and my education was in mixed schools - but I have to say the male was and still is a complete mystery to me. I'm glad my teacher (Mr Kirk - see above) gave me a nick name I liked. Teachers have to be so careful though...nick names so easily stick. But a long neck is something to be proud of, isn't it?

C.B: Thank you CB...and Marly - Ha, so glad you've spotted it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sun Oct 22, 08:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home