Friday, March 17, 2006

Good-bye Appleworks

I almost lost my work again today - the work I am having to do again because I lost it before. Appleworks decided to suddenly stop saving my work when I asked it to. There had been no 'unexpectedly quit' and no warning. And now I realise that this has happened before. Several times my work has not been saved when I thought it had - I had put it down to my own error but now I am convinced it was not.

Today, though I took precautions - I copied it all to clipboard before closing the file and I am so glad I did because all my modifications had gone again.

So, Appleworks, I am not impressed and I am voting with my feet. From now on I'm changing to Microsoft Word and hope this is more reliable.

I am not even half-way to the point I was before and I am having to give up for tonight because exhaustion has set in. This must be one of the most frustrating things that has ever happened to me. I keep seeing places where I made my writing better but I can't remember what is was and how it went.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

I have Appleworks as well. It doesn't misbehave as badly as yours is, but it does sometimes seem to slow my computer down... You'd think they would have sorted out such basic stuff by now wouldn't you?

Sat Mar 18, 12:26:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan: Yes! I had noticed the irritating slowing down effect - but thought it was because I had too much stuff on my computer, but it shouldn't do that either, really, should it.

I have since checked on forums I found that other people have experienced the 'now you see it, now you don't (ever again)' effect in all sorts of versions of the software so I have decided to struggle on with word. I don't like it as much as appleworks to be honest, but I supposed I'm just used to it.

Have had a quick look at your website - sounds very interesting - poetry and geology - just my sort of thing. Still in the throes of catching up with myself so shall take a look in more detail later as a reward when I have.

Sun Mar 19, 11:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home