Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Colour Chart

One of my favourite possessions at the moment is this...

the Farrow and Ball colour chart.  I must have spent hours looking through this, buying samples painting them on walls, and then trying to decide which one.  Apart from the actual colours - which seem so much better than, say, the Dulux ones to my eye (why I don't know, they are, after all, just colours) - I like the names.  Some are mystifying like 'Mizzle',  for instance, or 'Brinjal'.  Some are amusing like 'Mouses's Back' or 'Mole's Breath'and some are evocative on their own: 'Book Room Red' or 'Dove Tale'.  And the other day, to add to my enjoyment, Hodmandod Senior has pointed out that on the back is a description of each one.

'Mizzle', I discover, 'is a soft blue grey reminiscent of a west country eventing mist.  The blue will become more intense when painted in a smaller room.'.  We have opted for 'Cromarty' ('like the stronger Mizzle, this colour is inspired by mist , but this time from the sea.  It will bring a softness to any room'.).

Its like a poetic platform of words - inspiring not just my decorating, but stories and images as I brush the paint down the walls.  Each room gradually becoming
a different place.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

I really like colour charts too, and marvel at the names given to the different shades. It must be a fun job, being the person who gets to do the naming.

Fri Feb 03, 12:32:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes! I'd not thought of that -perfect job for a poet.

Fri Feb 03, 02:34:00 pm  
Blogger Lurch said...

Believe it or not, they're all named by my aunt. We used to have fun as kids helping her come up with them.

Thu Feb 23, 02:55:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Well, I think you did a grand job! And thanks very much for your comment.

Thu Feb 23, 03:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home