Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Loft Clearance.

This last week I have been clearing out our loft. The past thirty years we have used it for stuff we don't actually need but can't bear to throw away: there were books, my notes from various jobs, books, notes for research projects, books, notes for books, books, holiday paraphernalia, books, more books, books. For several years I have felt that we should clear it out, and put in the recommended amount of insulation - and just at the moment the local council is offering to do this gratis so I have booked a date in the hope that this would force us to do the deed ...and we have. Every day for the past week I have been removing bags full of 'precious objects' that have not seen daylight for decades. No one has missed them, so I reasoned that no one would miss them if they were deposited in the municipal dump.

So Hodmandod Senior and I have sorted through, and I have made eight trips to the dump. But my sticking point, of course, are towers like these:


Books: it is hard to throw them out.

The above pile contains various books on writing and the business of getting published. Since I have never attended a course on 'Creative Writing' (except an evening class) and consequently am academically unqualified, I frequently feel I ought to try and catch up with people who have taken degrees in the subject. Consequently, I have assembled a good library of reading material (this is just a part), but unfortunately I never seem to have time to read them.

However, 2012 is my year of self-improvement - and since these are now out of the loft and within my grasp - maybe this is the ideal time to make a start.

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kirk said...

Clare, we are doing exactly the same thing !

Wed Mar 21, 07:39:00 pm  
Blogger Martin Kirk said...

Clare, we are doing exactly the same thing--most of the stuff has been moved from loft to loft !!

Wed Mar 21, 07:40:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

What a coincidence! Horrendous business - and it takes so long because we find ourselves having pore over everything.

Wed Mar 21, 08:09:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

Catching up with your posts.

I read a couple of this kind of thing every year - I find they tell me little new but keep me on track, and occasionally remind me of something I discovered before, thought was essentially, but then promptly forgot!

Tue Mar 27, 09:58:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes Jem - good for keeping on track, and I also like some of their exercises - gives me a few ideas, sometimes - especially for warm-up sessions I chair locally.

Tue Mar 27, 10:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home