Monday, February 20, 2012

As You Like It at Theatr Clywd.

About twenty minutes from our home is a wonderful theatre called Theatr Clwyd. It is usually packed with an appreciative audience. There's no unwrapping of sweets or other irritations, and the seats are comfortable and well-raked so everyone has a good view.


We go there fairly frequently, and I can't think of anything they've produced that I haven't enjoyed. On Saturday we went to see Shakespeare's As You Like It, a play I haven't seen before, and think it is the best production I have ever seen. It was funny, very well acted (there was not one wrong note), beautifully staged and I could hear every word. Of course the script was pretty good too... It made me realise, again, how little there seems to be left to say because Shakespeare has usually expressed it perfectly already.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Sounds like a marvellous production! Going to the theatre is always a special treat.

I'm curious, by the way, how Cylwd is pronounced -- is it like 'Kell - wid'?

Wed Feb 22, 12:31:00 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

That sounds perfectly lovely! I think I first say "As You Like It" at Brown University--actress-then-undergrad Bess Armstrong was Rosalind/Ganymede.

Lovely Shakespeare.

I gather that the latest brouhaha over his identity says that he was a number of men--as if those plays could have been written by committee.

Wed Feb 22, 12:44:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes Paul, a great treat - especially when the result is so good!

Clwyd is said something like Cloo-id but all rolled together in one syllable. In Welsh the w and y sometimes act as vowels.

I bet that production was pretty wonderful too, Marly!

Shakespeare is inspiring. Even though he has said everything already he makes me want to have a go too.

I haven't been following the business of his identity. I suppose I'd be in the group that don't much mind who or what wrote it. I'm just so delighted that it is there, that in itself is enough... and I am so lucky to sometimes see and hear it being acted out.

Wed Feb 22, 09:01:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home