Monday, November 07, 2011

What I'm Doing 36:

What I watched last:


Norwegian Wood directed by Anh Hung Tran.

Haruki Murakami perfectly transposed onto the screen! Sure, it was slow - but it needed to be. I felt it was a little like poetry leaving spaces to fill in. I found this satisfying because I think it strongly evoked the book, but maybe it is not so satisfying for someone who hasn't read the book - and who prefers to be entertained and not work too hard. There were some beautiful scenes, and I thought the translator of the subtitles did a grand job (not that I know any of the original Japanese, of course, but just judging on the end result).

What I'm listening to:


Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Since I've only just started, and it is very long, I should think this will keep me going for some time.

What I'm reading (i) on my Kindle:

Re-Vamp, an anthology of speculative fiction edited by Die Booth and L.C. Hu.

What I'm reading (ii) on paper:


The top four are 'work' (i.e. research for my novel), whilst the bottom three are pleasure and have been given to me by publishers. At the moment I am in the middle of the Silk Industry of Renaissance Venice by Luca Mola - which is completely fascinating.

2 Comments:

Anonymous marly youmans said...

An interesting batch of books...

And how did you like the long Clarke?

Fri Nov 25, 06:20:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Sadly, I have abandoned it for now. The new Murakami came in and I couldn't wait.

Fri Nov 25, 08:45:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home