Thursday, November 17, 2011

Anatomy of Norbiton

If you have a little time to spare, I highly recommend a visit to Toby Ferris's Ideal City of the Failed Life in Norbiton, South West London.

It's a weirdly mesmerising experience. Enter and become happily lost. The essays nest, link and envelope. For me it truly was like entering another place. I have a feeling that W.G. Sebald would love this concept if he had lived long enough to come across it. In a way it seemed to me to be a development of his art.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

Argggh! If only I had the time to waste wandering around this place. It's delightful.

Thu Nov 17, 10:15:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Jim. Exactly my thoughts... I had to go out, sadly. But I am determined to go back.

Thu Nov 17, 10:23:00 am  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

I live within walking distance of Norbiton (but not, I hasten to add, in it!) so I might well check this out ;-)

Sat Nov 19, 02:19:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Aha! Sounds like an excellent idea!

Sat Nov 19, 05:46:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Fascinating! I also wish I had the time ... am considering registering to receive updates. Thanks Claire - I love stuff like this.

Sun Nov 20, 12:02:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Pleased you like, Kay :-) I hadn't reaalised about the updates. I shall take another look.

Sun Nov 20, 10:14:00 am  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

I have visited. Thank you, Clare. I shall go back there later.

And you are right; the ghost of Sebald wafts about in the park there.

Fri Nov 25, 06:16:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

'the ghost of Sebald wafts about in the park there' great way of putting it, Marly!

Fri Nov 25, 08:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home