Thursday, October 27, 2011

King James Bible Readathon in the Chester Literature Festival

My first day back from Rome, and I plunged straightaway back into the Chester Literature Festival: taking my slot in the Readathon of the King James VI bible in St Anselm's chapel in Chester Cathedral. My section was the last chapter of Daniel and the first seven chapters of Hosea.

Some parts of the bible are not frequently read, and having ploughed through these pieces of eventless prose I can see why. There was a lot about whoring and adultery in general, and baring the breast in particular - none of this recommended by the narrator, Hosea.

I much preferred the earlier bits about Daniel interpreting dreams and surviving fires and the lions' dens - and his persecutors (and their friends and relatives) all being torn apart with true Old Testament justice. It reminded me of the colosseum, and made me think that throwing people into a pit with wild animals may not have been a wholly Roman invention.


The audience was not huge, in fact consisted just of Hodmandod Senior at one stage (who took this picture), but thanks to Katherine Seddon who was the understudy for the day, and who has done a lot to organise this event. It's certainly made me appreciate the beauty of some of the Old Testament language.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I love the photo of you. What a grand effort. Good on you as we say over here. :)

Thu Oct 27, 07:39:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Kay! Much appreciated.

Thu Oct 27, 08:48:00 pm  
Blogger Brian Clegg said...

As I know you admire precision, I will just point out that you were reading from the Authorised Version of the Bible, rather than the 'King James Bible.'

Fri Oct 28, 08:09:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ah, thanks Brian - I had no idea!

Fri Oct 28, 09:38:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home