Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Browse

Today Hodmandod Senior and I decided to stock up on books for a trip to a 'mystery destination' this Autumn.


Just for a change we decided to go to a bookshop. Once inside I couldn't seem to find the will to walk our again, until hunger drove me to an adjacent coffee shop. I'd forgotten how wonderful it was to have a good browse with the physical objects (i.e.books) to hand. I was sorely tempted to buy a few more, but luckily remembered the towering TBR pile and managed to restrain myself. It was a near call though.

The top 10 guide is for the actual trip. The Granta City Guide contains some guided walks. The Art and Architecture guide provides some good background information and pictures on the sights. The Oxford Archeological Guide contains a lot more background information. The big rise and fall book is a pictorial history and gives a good overview.

How on earth I am going to get through all these before we go (and learn Italian, and do all the other things I need to do) I don't know, but I am going to have a go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

OOh I hope you enjoy it. We went to Rome a good few years ago and had a great time but do watch out for the very clever pickpockets, esp on the underground.

Highlights (apart from the obvious) were huge columns and lumps of ancient roman masonry just lying around everywhere in the streets etc; and on visiting the Coliseum seeing one of the guards (who are all dressed up as gladiators) smoking a ciggy - very anomalous!

Sun Aug 21, 06:21:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks for the warning, Maxine!

I suppose that Rome is so rich in history that the average modern Roman has to have a casual disregard for most of it otherwise it would be overwhelming.

Sun Aug 21, 07:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home