Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A date in St Asaph

Hodmandod Senior laughs, but I swear that when my SatNav says 'Wales' the word is infused with affection. No one believes me, but I know it's true. She sounds besotted and a little drunk, which is worrying considering I am depending on her to guide me there. Tonight SatNav and I made it to the Farmers Arms near St Asaph. This is an eighteen century Inn. I can tell this because there are signs...


It is in an area of 'outstanding natural beauty'. I know because there is another sign. It is a warning. It comes just before an incredible sweeping drop on the A55 from the Halkyn Mountains. Ahead there is a grand green valley, and behind them the mountains of Snowdonia, all of them so incredibly gorgeous that I know SatNav's jaw is dropping with the loveliness of it all. 'Wales,' she says weakly. 'Take the third exit...' But she's lost the plot.

Unfortunately, I cannot show you this wondrous valley (there is no convenient place to stop), but I can show you this...


You will have to take my word for the bleating of baby lambs, and the smell of spring flowering trees, but they were all there when I went in. The audience were great: the Spanish Circle of North Wales, and I had lots of interesting questions. Thanks for inviting me, Priscilla.

4 Comments:

Anonymous marly youmans said...

Oh, so it was at the inn? How delightful--another good event.

Thu Apr 21, 03:43:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, a pub! Great place, miles away from anywhere.

Thu Apr 21, 07:31:00 am  
Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Marvellous description! Certainly makes me want to explore that area someday.

Just wondering about your SatNav system -- can it only direct you to countries (such as 'Wales'), nothing more precise than that? Even so, it would still have a much keener sense of direction than our systems, which identify only which planet we are on. ('Remain on the third world from the Sun' mine keeps bleeting, with a touch of sadness that it is unable to say anything else.)

Sat Apr 23, 06:42:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hi Paul - thanks, and this bit of Wales is certainly worth seeing IMHO!

Ha, funny about your SatNav! This sounds to me like a good metaphor.

Sat Apr 23, 10:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home