Friday, April 30, 2010

Blackheaded Seagull - Industrial habitat


Chroicocephalus ridibundus Industrius

Over here you're mute. I see you wheeling over us, watching us as we pack and unpack, shift boxes, lift crates, reverse lorries, lay out more track, concrete, asphalt.

I see you watch, see you turn your head to get a better view: bottles and cartons, plastic bags blown up like something bloated, something dead.

You home in then. Scavenge. That's what you do. An avian fungus feeding on what remains. The end of a chain. A scrap merchant in a black mask.

Once I saw you in your proper place having a party. There were lots of you. You called out, plunged down into the sea, played games. There was a kind of joy in how you flew.

But here it's serious. Here is where the rot sets in and you're monitoring it like an official. It's spreading, you say, being washed up on beaches everywhere.

Too much, you cry, enough. And someone looks up, wonders at seeing you this far inland and why, suddenly, you're calling.

(Written this morning in response to Chester Grosvenor's Museum call for creative works describing wildlife in their Cheshire Habitat)

4 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I didn't know they were doing that. This is really nice!

I posted some pictures of Barcelona, I am planning to put some more if we have time over the days we spend here!

Sat May 01, 05:28:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

And what happens to these pieces, then? I like yours.

Sat May 01, 05:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Mary said...

This is lovely in the way that it makes me feel bereft. It brings to mind the oil slick that is reaching the shores of Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico.

Sat May 01, 07:52:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Angie! Delighted you've posted some picture. I'll take a look.

Thank you Marly. The pieces are going to be part of an exhibition in the museum - put alongside exhibits from the museum... (examples of taxidermy I think, sadly).

Thanks Mary. I suppose it could be that too - but what I was thinking of beside the seagull in an industrial landscape, is the terrifically sad plastic mountain afloat in the Pacific ocean. Last week I saw footage of it being washed up on some remote beach. It was being broken up be the waves, and there was so much there it was becoming sand. It is tragic.

Sat May 01, 10:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home