Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New Cover

Simon Hicks, the designer at Seren, has just sent me my newly revised cover - and I think it wonderful.

There was a little bit of detective work finding the artist which involved twitter and contacting the owner of the website, but eventually contact was made and it turns out to be Elisabet d'Epenoux, who is based in Florida. I am delighted she has agreed to have her beautiful oil painting on the cover of my book. It evokes Patagonia so well, and also emphasises the ironic title.


Also, Seren have managed to procure extra funding from the Arts Council so that they can produce some uncorrected bound proofs. In a big publishing house these are produced as a matter of course, but with a small press this feels like a big privilege. Thank you Welsh Arts Council!

10 Comments:

Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Lizzy Siddal (http://www.blogger.com/profile/02251497022206930892) said:

I think it's a wonderful cover too. Did you see last month's National Geographic? It really got me in the mood for a novel set in Patagonia.

(Moderation seems to be broken on blogger at the moment so I am putting this comment up myself)

Tue Mar 16, 08:28:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Lizzy - no I didn't see that! I bet it was gorgeous. Patagonia is such a wild and, in some parts, staggeringly beautiful place.

Tue Mar 16, 08:30:00 pm  
Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

I love wraparound covers like this. They make such a difference. And it's simple too, clean. It's what you need to pique the interest of people who don't know you. Once it's in their hands then it's up to you.

Tue Mar 16, 10:02:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Jim, too true!

Tue Mar 16, 10:05:00 pm  
Blogger Sue Guiney said...

It's beautiful, and so evocative. How exciting for you!

Wed Mar 17, 09:59:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Sue, I am very glad you like it too! I have to confess I have not done much else but look at it ever since I saw it yesterday. It is evocative, just as you say.

Wed Mar 17, 10:18:00 am  
Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Marvellous cover! I cannot imagine a more riveting, eye-catching image to go along with the title.

Thu Mar 18, 02:50:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you, Paul - I agree completely. I am just so happy about this cover.

Thu Mar 18, 07:57:00 am  
Anonymous Mary said...

It's beautiful, Clare!

Sun Mar 21, 06:11:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks, Mary! I'm still delighted every time I look at it.

Sun Mar 21, 08:47:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home