Monday, March 15, 2010

Guilin Turning Point

Onwards through Guilin then, on concrete footbridges


decorated with frogs that looked poised to be kissed into princes


and a spectacular pair of towering pagodas guarding the entrance of either river or lake


that came together


and parted again, a perfect transfer of themselves.


And once then, I came across a girl: bedraggled and barefoot who rooted unashamedly in bins, and then a small plump boy with spectacles and a Harry Potter T-shirt, even here. It was then, maybe, at that moment that my life changed. I turned a corner and encountered this:


a dead end filled with parked motor bikes and ending in a wall. I knew then that what I loved the most: the idea of walls, and dragons, and strange tall castles and the fantasies of small boys and larger ones (and girls), and I knew then that I wouldn't write a book on silk that no one much wanted, but a book on a quest for something strange and maybe wonderful.

2 Comments:

Blogger aliholli said...

The photos are fab as usual, love the frogs! And you know me, I want to read any book you write!

Fri Mar 19, 12:06:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you Ali! This is becoming just my self-indulgent China album - but I am much enjoying writing it!

And thank you about my book too. You are very, very kind.

Fri Mar 19, 12:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home