Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Threshold

4.20am. I went outside. The air was still and cold. It took a long time to seep in beneath the warmth of sleep that enveloped me still. Nothing moved. The only sound was a distant hum of cars along a motorway I can only hear when the rest of the world sleeps. A single lit window. No fireworks. No shouting in the streets. What now? I made some instant coffee and took it back to my desk and looked again at the map with its new swathes of blue. I listened for a while to hoarse voices and strained smiles, and then I wondered if Barak Obama was thinking of his grandmother.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"[…] I wondered if Barak Obama was thinking of his grandmother."
 
I hope he was thinking of his children… and mine. Let the dead take care of their dead.
 

Fri Nov 07, 08:36:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I o not agree with you Gilles. I think we should think of the both.

Fri Nov 07, 09:01:00 am  
Blogger jem said...

Good piece. Sometimes its hard to truly feel a change when that change takes place a continent away. I feel like this should be significant, and probably will impact on my life in some way, but those waves haven't quite reached me yet.

Fri Nov 07, 12:12:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Jem - yes, exactly my thoughts. I suppose we're waiting for the waves and wondering how high they'll be.

Fri Nov 07, 12:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home