Thursday, September 11, 2008

SlideShare

At the Sciblog conference I presented a few slides as part of a powerpoint presentation. Corie Lok, a senior editor at Nature, has just told me of a way of uploading my presentation to the internet so that anyone can see it. It is called Slideshare and I think it is a great little site. I've just tried it out, and although there are a few technical glitches with mine at the moment, I can see its potential. I shall post up the URL of my talk once it is ready. I think it is so good of the people who developed this software to make it available to everyone - a great example of the altruistic nature of some parts of the internet.

When I get a chance I shall upload my Alfred Wegener and 'Women and Madness in the 19th century' presentations too. They were quite a lot of work, and might be of interest to one or two people of the millions now on the internet - so it is great to be able to share them.

Update: The glitches turned out not to be glitches after all. Once the presentation (which you can see here) is downloaded from the Slideshare Website, everything is fine.

Labels: , , ,

Link

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took me a while to get it working, but get it working I did.

See http://www.slideshare.net/rpg7ss for the two talks I gave in the UK—I didn't make slides for the final session of the blogging conference so there's nothing there for them.

Thu Sept 11, 11:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Clare, looking forward to seeing them. I'll have a go at uploading my and Euan's slides there tomorrow (when I hope to be more awake than I am now, though for rpg it must be some ungodly hour). I did pass them to the organisers but I am not sure if/when they will be uploaded into a "conference special of all the presentations", I hope this will happen.

Thu Sept 11, 10:03:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Just taken a look, Richard - much impressed. In the second set I looked at the phrase 'affinity increases with distance' seemed an odd echo of Poicaré's thoughts about linking of ideas. Coincidental, I know...or maybe another distant linking.

Maxine: yes, I was much impressed with the website and found it straightforward. Looking forward to seeing yours too!

Fri Sept 12, 07:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. Movies obviously don't work with slideshare...

Fri Sept 12, 11:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine are up now, Clare, and I eventually found yours, by a roundabout route (coming back here!). Can you add the tag "sciblog" to yours? Then we might be able to "connect up" our presentations, I don't seem to be able to find it via a Slideshare search. I'll now go and see if I can find rpg's.
http://www.slideshare.net/MaxineClarke/science-blogging-presentation/

Either I'm being silly or slideshare search isn't good (there does not seem a search by tag facility) as I can't find any other science blogging presentations within Slideshare, even though I think Anna has been putting them up.

Sat Sept 13, 06:30:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again, Clare, you have made your slideshow "private" so this is why I can't find/share it I think. I found Martin's and Richard's (non sci blog) slideshows and was able to share those, because they are "public". Nobody is using the sciblog tag we are all using elsewhere though, not sure why.

Sat Sept 13, 06:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home