Monday, June 02, 2008

Today's Beautiful Distractions

Look what arrived through the door this morning:



THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO WINNING THE NOBEL PRIZE by Peter Doherty (because it's never too late (ha!))


and UNDER CONTROL by Mark McNay a very nice surprise from Andrea See at Canongate. The cover reminds me of something...the signature self-portrait on the top of my page. Ah, great minds and all that.

I flicked through the first few pages and was immediately drawn in, but... I... must... resist...
No, book, get out of my head. I am determined to finish Baricco's Iliad first.

4 Comments:

Blogger stu said...

One book at a time? It's nice, reasonable, and completely alien to the way almost everybody reads. Certainly to the way I do. I read a bit, put a bookmark in, forget where I put the book down, start something else, and so on.

Mon Jun 02, 07:53:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Well yes, Stu - I didn't say that was my normal habit, because it is not. But some books like the Iliad have to be read all at once because otherwise it would be too difficult to remember all the characters.

Mon Jun 02, 08:01:00 pm  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

I received "Under Control" on the same day too. Canongate thought it might appeal to me.

Little - if anything - did they know of my normal day job, but it seems perfect, based on title, to me.

Now: when can I fit it in on the reading schedule?

It's so hard...

Tue Jun 03, 07:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, but is it Crime Fiction, CFR?

Thu Jun 05, 10:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home