Thursday, June 05, 2008

Blazing June.


It is not often I get flowers, but this week, for various reasons, I have acquired two. I now have a bouquet in the front room and one in the back. The perfume from the lilies in this one is permeating the house, reminding me they are there and it makes me feel happy.


Meanwhile, out in the garden there are more flowers - next-door's climbing rose cascading over our apple trees, and just at the moment, smelling quite heavenly. I keep going out to my den just so I can pass them again, and I feel happier still.


Then, later this morning, the postman delivered this from Profile books: THE UNCOMMON READER by Alan Bennett, together with a tea towel. I have never had a literary tea-towel before. This one says...


I just read the first few pages to Hodmandod Senior and we both found it hilarious. I don't like everything that Alan Bennett does but I think I'm going to love this. I am working on draft two of my proposal now, but when I've finished I'm going to give myself a treat and read this book. Still more happy...


And, the best news of all, yesterday the contract from Seren books arrived. A PLACE OF MEADOWS AND TALL TREES, my novel about the Welsh going to Patagonia, is going to be published - sometimes in 2009, I hope...or maybe 2010. It has always been my brother's book, and I am delighted it is going to go out into the world by such a highly-respected Welsh publisher. I am very lucky. And very happy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pleased to hear of your contract with Seren, Clare. Many congratulations!

Your work will be a fine tribute to your brother, I'm sure. And Wales will love it.

Enjoy your lilies. I love lilies. But beware of dropping deposits, so hard to clean up... (As I'm sure you know!)

Fri Jun 06, 12:26:00 am  
Blogger aliholli said...

wow! thats brilliant news! good perseverance! and HOW HAPPY are you tonight!!!???......that is EVEN BETTER news....
hooray 4 u!
yippee and weyhey!
you are a star... dont forget that

Fri Jun 06, 12:26:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

FANTASTIC news!!! Congratulations - you SO deserve it!

Fri Jun 06, 01:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks CFR - and thanks for the warning on the pollen.

And thanks a lot Ali - yes, still happy...

And thanks CB. You are kind!

Sun Jun 08, 09:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home