Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fifteenth Sunday Salon 11.20

Outside the sky has the watery whiteness of whey. The fog is a surprise because yesterday the air smelt of spring. I should have gone to aerobics but I spent too long over breakfast talking to Hodmandod Senior, and I am still in my pyjamas now, reading Tamar Yellin's book. Everything is quiet. A man in a flat cap walks briskly by, and once he is past it is as if the street settles down again into stillness. It is a good day for reading.


Tamar Yellin is especially good on evoking a sense of place. I particularly like her description of Tel Aviv:
'This is the city which was founded on sand by zionists, and look what it has become. A tangle of dead ends and one-ways, unexpected barriers and sudden pavement. A labyrinth designed to fox the visitor. A city which began as a dream and grew dense, like a jungle; which began white and is now a general grey. The white visions of the dream have turned dark with salt. a hot moiture hangs in polluted air: the air pounds with the noise of traffic and work, sirens and horns and the hearts of hundreds of thousands of people.'
I have never been to Tel Aviv, but now feel I have a good impression of the place.
Link

4 Comments:

Blogger jem said...

Its a beautiful bluesky day here - crisp but warming, and also great for sitting in an open doorway reading - today its 'Double Vision' (Pat Barker) - which wasnt all I hoped it would be. Lots of potential, but perhaps she tried to take on too much and so failed to give enough attention to any one thing.

Sun Feb 10, 02:30:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was slightly disappointed with the last Pat Barker book I read (Border Crossing). I think perhaps because I loved her REGENERATION trilogy so much.

Sun Feb 10, 03:34:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas said...

I'm going to remember "watery whiteness of whey," and save that for some special occasion...

Sun Feb 10, 09:27:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Douglas!

Sun Feb 10, 09:52:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home