Monday, May 01, 2006

Banksy

You know when you're at school and there is a really naughty boy in the class who is always geting into trouble, and you know you really shouldn't laugh, but you do because you can't help it, and anyway part of you wants to be cool just like him, and swear and do all the things that he doesn't quite get away with but almost does...or was that just me?

Anyway, here is Banksy - a very naughty boy, a bit of an anarchist, a talented grafitti artist, very humorous (as long it's not my wall he's stenciling on) and now an author. Yesterday Hodmandod Senior came home with a present from Borders - a book full of Banksy art. Quite a bit of it is on his website, so I guess that by becoming a Harper Collins author he really hasn't sold out, and he won't mind at all if I reproduce one of hs photos here.


(the sign the grafitti hitch hiker is holding says 'anywhere').

It's not the most witty in the book, but it kind of summarises how I feel, and how I have always felt. I have a big chunk of wanderlust inside me and wherever I am I always feel I want to be somewhere else and one of the things that makes me really, really happy is travelling - alone. Hodmandod Senior knows this and doesn't mind - because he doesn't much like travelling at all and much prefers to stay at home. He is a happy and very contented sort of person and I wish I were more like him.
Link

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

There's a grafitti artist in Paris who does similar kinds of things. She is called Miss Tic.

Mon May 01, 11:57:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Our son who is an artist and does a little bit of this sort of art (street art) would be interested in that book - I might get it for him ... I like his website too. Amazing work. That's graffitti you can live with.

Tue May 02, 03:36:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, I don't mind having his grafittis on my walls -- if I had walls, that is.

- montmorency

Tue May 02, 05:39:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan: not succeeded on reaching Miss Tic's website yet, but shall keep trying (good name).

Chiefbiscuit: I warn you that book is very addictive - I have spent ages flicking through today.

Montmorency: You have no walls? I have been pondering this all day (when I have not been looking though the Banksy book and writing) and have come to the conclusion that you must be a virtual entity floating in space just above Japan :-)

Tue May 02, 09:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. I'm in a boat with three stupid men.

A virtual entity floating in space appears in David Mitchell's Ghostwritten, by the way, a chaotic fun romp.

- montmorency

Wed May 03, 02:20:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Montmorency: Ha, a boat, I didn't think of that. Banksy decorates those too - he sneaks up and paints their hulls when no one is looking. And that entity in Ghostwritten is exactly what I had in mind for you - great minds think alike and all that.

Wed May 03, 10:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home