Monday, March 27, 2006

Bonsai Tree as Pretentious Metaphor


Hodmandod Major (eldest son) is 21 and at university studying physics. Here is his bonsai tree which he bought at the beginning of a recent semester and brought home the other weekend because he didn't think it looked too well. He has inherited his green fingers from his mother, bless him.

This bonsai tree is a metaphor for the current state of my novel. The plot and the basic structure are there - I just hope by the end of the week it will have some foliage and will be showing more signs of life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mistake is to create the structure first. Best to start with the foliage, leave it lying in a festering heap, then create the roots, stem and branches and then attempt to stick individual leaves onto the branches in an increasingly panic-stricken and haphazard fashion.

Tue Mar 28, 05:07:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite so Adrian - I always find writing in a blind panic very productive. In fact it is my usual state - no idea of what I'm doing or how it is to end - I just print it out and if it weighs an acceptable amount write 'the end' and send it off to my agent.

Tue Mar 28, 07:52:00 pm  
Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

I hope you don't mind, I've half-inched your image...

Wed Mar 29, 09:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan: Not at all. I'm pleased you did - love the poem.

Wed Mar 29, 11:28:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too.

Very efective line-breaks!

Thu Mar 30, 12:00:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home